[Freeswitch-users] Howler - Gone?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Jul 21 07:57:47 PDT 2010

On 07/21/2010 10:00 AM, Fernando Romo wrote:
> But finally howler show to us something good: With the Cell chips used in the Leadteck (are the same on a PS3), we can make a transcoding equipment with a PS3 for $299 USD... :)
>
> Using the Ethernet of the PS3 we can send the RTP to the transcoding software and the device has enough power to convert 400+ concurrent calls.... only think about it.
>
> Best Regards... Fernando Romo

Actually, the Howler card was a Leadtek PxVC1100 . It uses a Toshiba
Spursengine chip. That has 4 Cell SPUs running at 1.5GHz. The PS3's chip
has 7 Cell SPUs running at 3GHz. So, a PS3 is potentially a much faster
transcoding platform..... or it was until they killed Linux installs.

Howler didn't show us anything. What they did was a perfectly obvious
route for transcoding. They were just the first people to do the
engineering. Now the Cell is dying it doesn't look such a marvellous
choice, but it certainly looked promising when they started work.

Steve