[Freeswitch-users] SIP2VXML

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 08:31:42 PDT 2010

I think the problem is that too many people treat VXML like it's a gold mine
or somehow valuable.
That is a no no for a standard.

So when it was first invented, people tried to sell the editors for money,
the only implementation were commercial and there was no real acceptance to
it.  The first open source VXML stack was dependency-ridden and archaic to
even build for many years.

The value could be realized by providing hosting services for it, or
developing it for customers, not by making them pay money to even use the
editor.

I believe a standardized way to serialize an IVR and execute it from
a neutral server is a good idea but I am a bit sketchy on whether or not
VXML is right.  Imagine if email was a secret protocol and you had to pay
money for your email composer...Oh yeah, that happened and everyone laughed
in their faces and now it's free.

When I once tried to implement VXML, I started trying to use openVXI, while
hunting down the dependancies, I learned about spidermonkey and started to
wonder why to bother rendering the XML into a script and running it when you
could just write the whole IVR in JS.  So I made res_js for Asterisk.  When
I started FS, I also made a mod_spidermonkey as we can all see.  I also use
XML in FS so I don't have a vendetta against XML, (I do get annoyed by those
who over do it with XML).  I just get an uneasy feeling about it and there
is something to be said since we have 100% of the ingredients for VXML in FS
and never implemented it.

Like I said I am open to the idea of supporting it, to give it a fighting
chance to get adopted.  But teenagers are harder to get adopted as Andy
pointed out =p

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:11 AM, Jan Berger <jan.berger at video24.no> wrote:

> So why does it "suck"?

Anthony Minessale II