[Freeswitch-users] Installing freeswitch on CentOS

Bill W. freeswitch at aastral.net
Thu Jan 7 16:15:42 PST 2010

Personally, I'm migrating to openSUSE, because I'm tired of RedHat's
non-standard kernel backports and outdated packages.

Others in the VoIP industry (ViciDial) recommend SuSE because of their
experience with with RedHat's long-standing perl bug, process preemption
set to desktop, version number mismatch on packages and non-standard
libraries.

But SuSE is not without it's problems.  The perl module for FreeSWITCH
will compile on SuSE, but FreeSWITCH coredumps when trying to use it.
Haven't had time to research that one.

Also, if you're going to use wanpipe with Sangoma cards on SuSE, check
with Sangoma to make sure wanpipe will compile on 11.2.   It wouldn't
compile for me and I reported the bug to Sangoma, but I haven't heard
anything back yet.  Wanpipe compiles just fine on 11.1.

Having said that, the Suse installation is very similar to
CentOS/RedHat.  I've run FreeSWITCH on both, and it works just fine on
both.

Hope this helps,
Bill