[Freeswitch-users] call from an internal extension to external number

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Tue Feb 23 13:47:04 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Madovsky <infos at madovsky.org> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> day after I undertand a littlee more all these xml hell files (not friendly
> to read ;)),

Use a text editor that does syntax highlighting. :)

> but to be a PERl developer since 1999 understand regex and PERL language
> make life more easy...

Hint: don't say PERL, say Perl or perl instead. People who say PERL are
considered uneducated.

> However, I don't understand yet the concept of internal exterenal.
> is it for phone registration AND outbound calls ?

Internal and external are SIP profiles. Each SIP profile is a SIP user
agent, or UA. For a more complete discussion on this topic check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent

In short, the internal profile is listening on a particular IP and port and
usually it's to listen for registrations and calls from your telephones, as
well as to send calls out to your telephones. The external profile is
generally used just for outbound gateway registrations.

> for now I try to make an external call from 1000 ext (registered on port
> 5060)
> so I added an extension in dialplan/default.xml
>
>     <extension name="outbound_europe">
>         <condition field="destination_number" expression="^00?(\d+)$">
>               <action application="bridge"
> data="sofia/gateway/myprovider_europe/00$1"/>
>         </condition>
>     </extension>
> so if call starts with "00" it redirects to my provider that manage
> outbound calls, is it correct ?
> I put the myprovider.xml account into sip_profiles/external/myprovider.xml.

At first look this appears correct. You can make sure that the gateway is up
by typing "sofia status" at the fs_cli prompt. If you are having trouble
with making calls it is best to watch the debug output very carefully. It is
a lot of information to look at but eventually you will learn to focus on
the information that you need.

You're doing well! Just keep plugging away at it and you will figure it all
out and soon you will be helping others. :)
-MC