[Freeswitch-users] Voicemail quality

Edward Stevenson iamcanadian at myfastmail.com
Thu Feb 18 14:50:09 PST 2010

I have V1.0.4 running on a production server.  It's working quite well,
except for voicemail retrieval over a satellite internet connection.  Voice
calls over satellite sound fine, other than the 600ms delay.  I'm using the
Howler G729 module for G729 transcoding.

I've noticed that in voice calls, the bandwidth over the satellite is a
steady 24 kbps in both directions.  When accessing voicemail, the bandwidth
fluctuates with voice in the call.  What I mean by that is, pauses in audio
in the voicemail, or in the IVR, cause the bandwidth of the call to drop off
momentarily.  It's almost like it's using a variable bit rate.  The audio
sounds like there's packet loss.  Pops and garbled speach.  This is not
noticable over a landline.  I'm using the built in voicemail.

Anyone else had any similar issues?