[Freeswitch-users] building for Lenny

Frank Carmickle frank at carmickle.com
Thu Feb 18 08:17:41 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, Matthew Law wrote:

> On Thu, February 18, 2010 9:10 am, Brian May wrote:
> > On 18 February 2010 19:56, Mark Campbell-Smith <mcampbellsmith at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> I think you need to download the gzip file from
> >> http://files.freeswitch.org/
> >>
> >> latest.freeswitch.org does not contain sound files as far as I'm aware
> >> ..
> >
> > Does this mean I shouldn't be trying to use the debian packages? *.deb
> > files would certainly make it easier to compile it on a fast computer
> > and then transfer to my net5501.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the website seems have a lot of old information,
> > including references to obsolete Ubuntu Hardy packages.

Yes, the wiki is quite out of date.  There are a few of us working on getting an apt repository for freeswitch packages.  Sorry it's taking so long.  You can build the debs from what's in tree now.  The only bit is that sounds are not included.  You will have to get them from files.freeswitch.org.  Once we have an apt repo all of this will become much less painless..

> > I see a thread from late last year that suggests there should be
> > prebuilt packages, everything I can find so far seems very old
> > however.
>
> Brian,
>
> I had similar problems recently and decided to compile it from svn trunk.
> The dependencies for the build are all available in apt, so I installed
> those, checked out trunk and configured it with a prefix of
> /usr/local/freeswitch.

Like I said you can and should build debs from svn.  As far as I see it there is no reason to not build debs.

> I got the impression it is self contained, so you should be able to tar up
> the entire /usr/local/freeswitch dir and scp it over - I stand to be
> corrected on that, though.

That's true but then you lose the convenience of doing upgrades with the package management.

--FC