[Freeswitch-users] Call Monitoring and Recording with FS?

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Tue Feb 16 09:31:14 PST 2010

Daniel,

Welcome to the wonderful and crazy world of VoIP! FreeSWITCH is totally
awesome and can do all sorts of things. It is like a cross between a Hemi
and a box of Lego bricks: it is extremely powerful and you can build all
sorts of things with it. Here's the caveat: there probably isn't a
pre-rolled solution for your setup. That being said, if you have any
programming skills, or if you have access to some IT resources at your firm,
then you can probably build something for your enterprise. Alternatively,
you can email consulting at freeswitch.org and seek professional (i.e. paid)
help.

My recommendation is to learn more about FreeSWITCH from these resources:
wiki.freeswitch.org
lists.freeswitch.org (freeswitch-users is the main list)
#freeswitch channel on irc.freenode.net
Community conf call on Fridays:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Weekly_Conference_Call

A very gentle intro to FreeSWITCH can be found here: http://bit.ly/EpVrv
After that then it's off to the wiki. There is a FreeSWITCH book in writing,
probably due out by summer time. In the meantime the community will be happy
to answer questions, especially if you roll up your sleeves and try things
before you ask.

Last pieces of advice: Use Linux distro CentOS 5.3, and use x86_64 if you
have 64bit hardware. We've seen crazy things happen with using 32bit Linux
on 64bit hardware. Also, use latest SVN trunk or download from
latest.freeswitch.org. FreeSWITCH is a unique project where the latest SVN
trunk is almost always more stable than the "latest stable" release. Hint:
if you want to update your FreeSWITCH installation to "the latest" then just
go to your source directory and type "make current" and it will do the rest.

Have fun!
-Michael