[Freeswitch-users] Mod_Conference capacity....

Tihomir Culjaga tculjaga at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 03:27:11 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Gavin Henry <gavin.henry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think this is unfair to automatically point a user to commercial
> support. Its like holding your users hostage until they pay for info.

well, the point is that every application is different and nobody can say
what the performance for this or that HW exactly is. This is not like
holding a hostage it is more like "we need to play on your existing platform
run some tests so we can come out with some real benchmark"... this is what
i can read from Anthony's e-mail.

I'm willing to write a page on the wiki with info on the recommended
> tools to use etc. with links to the commercial support resource list
> if they can't be bothered to do the setup themselves or want the
> experts paid for guidance.

yes, SIPP together with nmon and wireshark and Adobe Audition are the right
tools (at least thats what i'm using...) for such benchmarking.

   - SIPP to generate traffic load,
   - nmon to get some real stats on the machine
   - wireshark to quickly check the jitter on your test call and extract the
   voice stream (sniffing has to be done on a mirrored switch port)
   - adobe autition to perform voice quality check on the extracted voice
   stream

> It just reads like a bit of an insult. Have a question? Well you must
> be stupid and need to pay for help immediately.

dont think so, "you must learn how to use all these tools"... if you don't
want to do it, there is another option but it is not free :(

> He may have even written the page for the docs team if he was
> encouraged first with a few pointers on how to do the tests and
> written them up with results for others to find with a big YMMV
> warning.

well ... i think the time is always the issue + nobody likes documenting
things :(

> Just my thoughts from experiences as the Doc team lead for the
> OpenLDAP project and dealing with lots of users asking questions too.
>
> But some users never read docs and there a very good amount of high
> quality pages in the wiki. Others, if helped, come back and
> contribute, but you may have lost this one.

I cannot say anything here except you are right and i agree what you are
saying about documenting things ...