[Freeswitch-users] Choppy connection in one direction

Max Bridgewater max.bridgewater at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 09:51:30 PST 2010

Hi Gents,

What can be wrong with my settings? Pleas help. I have a simple
Portech VoIP-GSM gateway in an African country where i try to
terminate calls. My setup is:

Skype<->Skypiax<->Portech Gateway<->GSM Phone

I have this setup in place right now. Calling from Europe, people can
understand me down there without a glitch. But I can barely hear what
they say.

I replaced the setup with: Skype  <->Skypiax<-> Skype. No change in result.

Then I tried with the Howler G729 codec:
Setup 1:  Xlite <-> Freeswitch <->Portech <->GSM Phone: No change in result.
Setup 2:  GSM Phone <-> Voip.MS <-> Freeswitch <->Portech <->GSM
Phone: No change in result.

In all these cases, the communication is perfect in one direction but
very choppy in the orther.
The only thing that works is direct Skype to Skype. And it works
perfectly, suggesting that the connection is probably not the issue.
The speed i could measure is 140kbs/30kbs.

And assuming the the internet connection is the issue, i would have
hoped that if Skype<->Skype works, then Skype<->Skypiax<->Skype would
also work.

Any idea?

Max.