[Freeswitch-users] Can Freeswitch and OpenSER Co-reside on Same Server?

Henry Huang red.rain.seven at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 10:36:13 PST 2010

Kristian:

Can you point me to the wiki link where it describes how to do the header
rewriting and number formatting and topology hiding?
I am also looking into OpenSIPS to be a session boarder controller, but if
freeswitch is already able to do all these, then I think it's easier for me
to stick with it since I already learn and do a lot with it already.

Thanks,

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 2:11 AM, Kristian Kielhofner <
kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Jerry Richards
> <jerry.richards at teotech.com> wrote:
> > If I use OpenSER for a session border controller, does anyone see an
> issue
> > if it resides on the same server as Freeswitch?  So I would have a LAN
> and
> > WAN socket?  Are there any drawbacks (other than loading) to worry about?
> >
> > Thanks And Best Regards,
> > Jerry
> >

> You can use different IP addresses or ports.  I do this all of the time.
>
> I question why you are using OpenSER (OpenSIPS?) as a SBC.  FreeSWITCH
> is actually more well suited to most of the functions served by
> something called* a "session border controller".
>
> For example, FreeSWITCH in bypass media mode is a signaling only SBC
> where you can (cleanly) do the header rewriting, number formatting,
> and SIP topology hiding typically done by a SBC without touching the
> media.  Proxy media mode can do the same while proxying media
> (traversing NAT and hiding real RTP addresses).  FreeSWITCH in normal
> bridging mode can transcode, convert between different types of DTMF
> and do everything else mentioned above.
>
> OpenSER as a proxy can't even (per RFC3261) rewrite To or From, nor
> will it hide topology (it simple adds Record-Route/Via).
>
> * Session borders controllers are very ill-defined and mean different
> things to different people.
>
> --
> Kristian Kielhofner
> http://www.astlinux.org