[Freeswitch-users] Looking for some good/cheap desktop phones

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Feb 5 09:44:33 PST 2010

On 02/05/2010 11:31 PM, David Knell wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> This is a start:
> http://www.digitmat.com/ - you need to follow some links, but it's open
> source.
>
> --Dave

Those people have a troubled history. They were the people behind many
of the early cheap, but less than stellar, VoIP phones, with a chip that
isn't made any more - the PA1688. They seem to have regrouped, and have
a newer chip. I wonder if they have got their act together this time.
>> Sigh... When is someone actually going to build an open platform voip
>> hardware phone... Its just a linux box that happens to be shaped like
>> a phone, with a touch screen, 48kHz sound card... and possibly video
>> too.
>>

>> /b
>> PS: Most of those eastern made phones are crap.
>>
>> On Feb 5, 2010, at 7:21 AM, Tihomir Culjaga wrote:
>>

>>> Atcom AT-620
>>> (http://www.atcom.cn/AT620.html#~tab-small_midsized_large_enterprises) is quite ok and cheap (~30$)... also we have been talking to Atcom to add a sort of auto-provissioning (dhcp/http) and this is going to happen next week.
>>>

>>> T.

ATCOM are amenable to the idea of supplying hardware for other people to
put their own software on. Some of their phones use Infineon chip sets,
and I think those are running software based on the Infineon Linux
reference platform. All it takes is a few good people with the
commitment to actually do something. I expect there are other Chinese
makers who would be delighted to supply bare hardware to people, and a
lot of the cheaper current Chinese phones have very similar Infineon
based designs.

Steve