[Freeswitch-users] G729B and mod_com_g729

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Dec 11 06:57:02 MSK 2010

It is worth looking at Internet Explorer as an example of the sad
consequences of tolerance. Microsoft made it so tolerant of wrongly
tagged languages, file types, etc. that it now practically ignores all
the tagging, even when the tagging is right. Perfectly good web pages
get misinterpreted very frequently.

The tolerance of IE has made web page designers so sloppy that about 90%
of the world's Chinese language web pages only display correctly if you
set your locale to the appropriate type of Chinese (traditional or
simplified), or manually force each page you visit. The designer has
their locale set to Chinese, and never bothers checking beyond that.

If you have worked with things like webmail, you will know that the
handling of files, like attached voice mails, in the displayed mail is
very quirky in IE. By trying to be super tolerant it ends up with near
random behaviour.

So, a short term move in the 90s by MS, which must have made people
greatly thank them in the short term, has turned out to be a HUGE PITA.

Steve