[Freeswitch-users] New Bounty (again): Improved Mod_voicemail Emulation

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 12:56:24 PDT 2010

They are C because they are expected to load and work and there is 0
tolerance for missteps typically.

a LUA one is ok but that's in the realm of the users.  I would not
ever ship an external app as part of the main distribution but
naturally making your own external systems is why we made FS modular.

If you want to do it in LUA it would probably end up in contrib.

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Kristian Kielhofner <kris at kriskinc.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Steven Ayre <steveayre at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> mod_voicemail is already open source.
>
>  Yep.
>
>> If you want a feature not in it, specify what it is so that it can be added, or someone can chime in with a tip on how you can already do it. Or you could even supply a patch which adds the feature.
>
>  I know I could.  However, this development and patch would only meet
> *my* needs *right now*.  What about my future needs?  What about some
> other guy that loves FreeSWITCH but can't leave Avaya-style voicemail?
>  When it really comes down to it an implementation in LUA would be far
> easier to customize.  To be honest I've never really understood why
> Asterisk voicemail is a C module and why FreeSWITCH voicemail is a C
> module when both applications (especially FreeSWITCH) provide so many
> ways to accomplish the same goals without being tied into a C module.
> Mod_conference is muxing different audio streams at different sample
> rates, doing speaker detection, etc.  That makes perfect sense to
> implement in C.  Voicemail is basically an IVR app.  How many people
> develop IVR apps in C?  How many people use LUA, Perl, ESL, etc?
>
>  The FreeSWITCH wiki, docs, etc encourage quick and easy application
> development using these existing interfaces (Lua, JS, ESL, etc).  All
> I'm trying to do is build an application.  This application just
> happens to be what most people usually refer to as "voicemail".
>
>> So the list of what's missing is really what's useful.
>
>  I could provide a list of what is missing for Asterisk voicemail but
> my list today would never be the end-all-be-all of voicemail.  An
> implementation in LUA would make it significantly easier for almost
> anyone to endlessly customize voicemail to meet their needs, now and
> in the future.
>
>  Then again maybe I'm completely wrong about LUA for voicemail.  I
> still think it's worth investigating.
>
> --
> Kristian Kielhofner
> http://www.astlinux.org