[Freeswitch-users] fax ident and header variables

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Aug 24 09:39:46 PDT 2010

  On 08/24/2010 11:42 PM, François Delawarde wrote:
> Anyone knows the meaning of the fax_ident and fax_header variables? Are
> those mandatory? What should go in there and how should it be formatted?
>
> The only thing I could find is that apparently in the USA, the fax
> header must contain the telephone number of the line where the fax is
> connected. Is this only in the USA?
fax_ident should be set to the telephone number to be used within the
fax exchange. This will typically appear on an LCD display at the far
end. In theory it should be limited to digits, spaces, + and one or two
other characters appropriate to telephone numbers. In practice FAX
machines are usually happy with any text, up to 20 characters. This
string may also play a part in page headers.

If fax_header is set to a non-null string, a header line will be
inserted at the start of each page, just like a typical FAX machine
does. The fax_ident, fax_header and the page number will be used to form
the text of this line. If you are forwarding FAXes, you probably don't
want to add a header line, as there will already be one that was
inserted by the original source. If you are sending a locally generated
FAX, you probably do want to add header lines to each page.

Steve