[Freeswitch-users] performance between bridged call and conference

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 16:27:52 PDT 2010

Mac indeed has some unfair hard-coded 2500 thread limit that we can't
explain, we've seen it all along.

Don't trust the load avg on linux when you have lots of rtp, it's not
real its thrown off because of all the rtp traffic causing scheduler
wait.

anyway, you learned the limits of your box for yourself, good job!
That's what I like to see.

naturally, you get better or worse results depending on how many cpu
you have or how fast each one is.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Seven Du <dujinfang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks all replies to this thread, I got more clear idea.
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Michael Collins <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:
>> What happened when you created several thousand bridged channels as opposed
>> to 2-person conferences? Just curious to see where your upper limits came in
>> to play there.
>> -MC
>>

> MC, I'm not sure I get what do you mean. I think the fact is that
> conferences use more resources(threads) than bridges, it just failed
> to create new threads at about 2560 threads on Mac. I used the default
> ulimit values.  Since I was trying to compare conferences over bridges
> but not load test, so I didn't care about much of upper limits. Anyway
> I will never use in production on Mac.
>
> On Linux, I created 2400 bridged channels(think about loopback using
> double than normal calls), and without hangup all the calls, I start
> to create 2400 conference channels, loadavg boost to over 2000 from
> some where, so I executed "hupall" to avoid crash the whole sever. (
> before I saw 2000 loadavg, the max loadavg I seen is about 60 on linux
> and that server is no-response at all, I was lucky that I can still
> control the server on loadavg 2000.
>
> I almost used the default config(say loglevel 7), so bottle necks
> might be everywhere. Anyway I got my conclusion.
>
> Thanks.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/