[Freeswitch-users] freeswitch CPU usage

Vincent Stemen vince.freeswitch at hightek.org
Sun Aug 22 11:10:11 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 07:19:43PM +0300, Vlasis Hatzistavrou wrote:
>   On 20/8/2010 5:52 ??, Anthony Minessale wrote:
> > Yet another load test thread.........................
> >
> > This is why we don't like them.
> >

> > Too bad you missed my presentation at cluecon.....
> >
> > Do you hear yourself btw? Quibbling about completely free software
> > *only* doing 200cps in your fake test?
> I don't know if I missed any message in this thread, but why do you say
> that the tester did a fake test?
>
> > 200cps is 4 times the industry standard FYI and if you were really
> > doing 200cps in real life you would be so rich at our expense that you
> > could afford more boxes.
> >
> > you clearly ignored all of our repeated recommendations.
> > Use the following or you are on your own.......
> >
> > This OS
> > Centos 5.x x86_64
>
> If someone is on his own for any other OS than Centos 5.x x86_64 then
> why is FS offered for so many different platforms?
>
> It's only natural for people to want to test it on their favorite
> platform... Perhaps, as you recommend, Centos 5.x x86_64 gives the best
> results over all other platforms, but last time I checked, a user is
> still allowed to ask performance related questions for his favorite
> platform in this mailing list, right?

I agree.  Woody Dickson said

    What I found so strange was that while CPU usage remains pretty low
    and distributed among all cores at 190 - 200 calls per second.
    Then, after added a few more calls per second, all CPU becomes fully
    utilized.

I did not interpret his comments as having anything to do with
criticizing or questioning the performance of freeswitch.  His question
was one of curiosity about the extreme non-linearity of the processor
load suddenly surging by adding just a few calls.  If I had seen this
same behaviour I likely would have asked the same question.

Just my two cents worth.
Vince