[Freeswitch-users] freeswitch CPU usage

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) vhatz at kinetix.gr
Sat Aug 21 09:56:31 PDT 2010

Nyamul Hassan wrote:
> One thing that you are totaly "ignoring" Vlasis, is that the
> performance tests are irritating to the core-devs because FreeSwitch's
> CPS is already so high, that their effort / time are better used at
> improving / adding other things.  Like the new "concurrent call
> recovery" feature, which is just simply crazy, if you ask me.

Hassan, (no irony intended, please believe me) but one thing you are
totally ignoring too is that we were not debating about the validity of
the tests. We were talking about attitude towards posts with questions
on certain subjects.

If users are still talking about performance this is because they are
interested in it and are drawn to FS because of it. It's only natural to
talk about it. And users of all software are talking about performance.

> Just think about it, at 200 CPS, for 100% ASR (IVR) and 1 min ALOC /
> ACD, you're talking about 12,000 concurrent sessions.  Or in a
> "real-life" call routing scenario, at 50% ASR and 5 mins ALOC, it is
> equivalent to 30,000 concurrent sessions, or 1,000 E1s!
>
> And all that, using regular, run-of-the-mill, processor, motherboard,
> etc.  The server Woody mentions would probably cost around $ 6,000 -
> 7,000/- from HP or IBM.  Who can beat that?  And, to top that off,
> Woody was comparing to 600 CPS that he got on v1.04 (36,000 or 90,000
> conc. sess.)!
>
> The core-devs are very passionate about their work.  And, they have
> created a beast!  So, get the beast to work "in real life", and then
> complain about problems.

Hassan, you didn't understand Woody's post neither mine.

Did you read me or Woody complaining about problems with FS? I don't
think so.

Woody asked a very simple question. He didn't complain. Yet he was
bashed. There was no complain in his message to the list, unless he sent
another one which I missed completely.

On the other hand, I have 2 questions regarding your comments:

1) Where exactly did you read 600 cps? Perhaps I missed a post but I
only read 1 post from Woody with a scenario of 190 to 200 cps. Still a
very high score, but this is not the point.

2) Sorry if it sounds ironic (again, no irony intended) but why are do
you suggest that we complain about problems only after we use FS in real
life? Because many of us do. On the other hand, why are lab tests that
much frowned upon? Some people know how to test and reproduce production
scenarios in a lab. Really.

> I've seen them instantly jump into helping with the situation. Bug
> reports are fixed within hours.  Even the "latest GIT" is claimed to
> be the most stable versions!  Not many software projects (open source
> or not) can boast that, if at all.
Hassan, no-one questioned the hard work put in by the developers. We
were having a different discussion here.

As a sidenote, when the latest git/svn which, by nature, is work under
development, is more stable than the latest stable release then yes, not
many projects can boast that. On the contrary, most projects avoid this
situation, because the users will have to put in production source code
which is in a "fluid" state. Again, this is just a sidenote, (a comment
on a comment) no intention to start a new flame here.

:)

Rgds,
Vlasis.