[Freeswitch-users] freeswitch CPU usage

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) vhatz at kinetix.gr
Fri Aug 20 15:17:26 PDT 2010

Anthony Minessale wrote:
> That's easy for you to say because you are using the mailing list not
> running it or taking a personal vested interest in maintaining  the
> quality of it's content.
>
> We are trying to make sure we help everyone all day long every day constantly.
> If you personally had to deal with every time we get this recurring
> "load testing" threads, you might understand.

I understand that you may feel frustrated on a topic that you have
already covered many times in the past in the list.

The fact, however, that the list still receives performance-related
questions shows that the users are still interested in the subject, that
they still have questions and that they need to compare practices,
information, set ups, anything one can think of, despite the information
already available in the wiki and in the mailing list.

The fact that some users still ask and wonder about performance does not
mean that they dispute FS's performance or that the users are too lazy
to test thoroughly or that they don't know what they are doing (OK,
granted some of us don't, but may be willing to learn).

Performance related questions pop up all the time in the mailing lists
of probably every software that I have watched. IMHO, this is a good
thing. Higher performance is of interest in all kinds of software, this
being especially true for VoIP software.

The question

"ok, great, we get 200 cps. Now, how can we get the software to do more"

does not show stupidity, greed or ingratitude. It is a valid question
that can move forward the development of any software.

> The alternative would be for us to lower our standards and let the
> list run away with itself and not care if we actually keep up on it.
>
> What mailing lists are for is anything the owner of the list wants it to be for.
> He is welcome to continue to say anything he wants and we are obliged
> to reply however we want.
> It's a 2 way street.  You seem to suggest that we don't have to right
> to have policies on our own community that many people are very
> satisfied with only because we do exactly what we want to run our own
> community.

I never suggested that you don't have the right to have policies in the
list that you have created. I'm saying something different: although I
didn't see anywhere a policy that the list users are forbidden to post
performance related questions, this is exactly how such questions are
treated in practice.

Of course, I can't even begin to imagine any software mailing list with
a policy of forbidding the discussion of "taboo" subjects. And this is
exactly the reason why I wrote my post.

Specifically in this case, Woody wrote a valid question about a subject
not forbidden by any policy. He deserved an answer by anyone willing to
reply as much as the next user on the list.

I know that you have a busy schedule, and that you cannot possibly
participate in all threads, especially in subjects already covered, even
more so for subjects that you don't like.

But there are already experienced users in the list who are willing to
reply. Some users, who were willing to help, actually did reply and in
fact a whole discussion about performance and test data was generated,
showing beyond doubt that this is a hot topic for FS users. And IMHO
this is a good thing for FS.

The original question in this thread did not attack your work or
FreeSWITCH in general in any way. So, no need to accuse the user of
making money on your expense or that he performs fake tests. It was just
a question, after all.

Best regards,
Vlasis Hatzistavrou.