[Freeswitch-users] FreeSwitch - Skype4COM or SkypeKIT we are using?

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 02:01:17 PDT 2010

On 12 August 2010 21:16, Shamun toha md <shamun.toha at gmail.com> wrote:

> NOTE: Please have a look:
> http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=637293&st=0&p=2897693&#entry2897693
>
> I am completely now confused:
>
> Does that mean Skype Module in FreeSwitch will be dead or is dead?

No. A Skype module will always be required for FreeSWITCH to talk to Skype,
and the existing one will continue to work just fine.

> Does that mean Skype Module in FreeSwitch, can now handle 100 to 300 or 999
> simultaneous calls?

The Skype module is currently unchanged. Your concurrent calls will be the
same as before.

> Does that mean Skype Module in FreeSwitch, will be never needed?

No, a Skype endpoint module will always be required for FreeSWITCH to talk
to Skype.

It *may* mean that mod_skyopen will end up being rewritten to use the SDK
which would have advantages - removing the reliance on running a separate
client, allowing it to run on non-Linux systems and increasing the number of
channels possible.

But the cost, terms and licensing of the SDK isn't clear yet and until they
are it won't be possible to know whether this will be possible.

I'm not the developer of mod_skyopen - whoever is would be able to give the
best answer on how likely it is that mod_skypopen will be updated to use the
SDK.

> Does that mean Skype Module in FreeSwitch, will need to be completely renew
> after running it for months?

It means there might be a new version to upgrade to at some point. But
you'll want to be upgrading FreeSWITCH to get bugfixes periodically anyway
so that's not an issue.

If you don't upgrade the previous version will continue working just fine.

I doubt the interface would change with an upgrade (the developers will
strive to avoid any big changes so as to be backwards compatible), so it'd
just be a case of recompiling and updating the mod_skypopen configuration.