[Freeswitch-users] FS with Red5 Streaming-Server (RTMP-Stream)

Richard Alam ritzalam at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 13:13:23 PDT 2010

Yes, this can be done.

We are doing this for voice conference using Flash, Red5 and
FreeSWITHCH/Asterisk.

We basically have a SIP client based on Red5Phone. The SIP client
takes audiodata from RTMP, transcodes Nellymoser to Ulaw, then send
the audio data using RTP to FS/Asterisk.

With FS, we can use Speex Wideband so there is no need to transcode
but to just take audio data from RTMP then shove it into an RTP packet
to FS.

You can take a look at the code here
http://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/tree/master/bbb-voice/.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Richard

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Dennis <odermann at googlemail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> we are currently playing with streaming calls.
>
> with fs and icecast (over mod_shout) it works quite well. the problem
> is, that http-streaming to a website in conjuction with a flashplayer,
> a lot of overhead is produced. therefore this is no optimal solution.
>
> the best for streaming to a flashplayer embedded in a website are
> rtmp-streams (which are also used by webradios). red5 is an open
> source streaming server (written in java), which supports rtmp-streams
> and mp3.
>
> the problem seems to be, that fs "only" supports icecast and
> shoutcast. we can not get fs to work with red5.
>
> does someone have experiences with fs and red5 and can tell me, if
> there might be a way to get it working? or are there any technical
> issues, why this can't work?
>

> thanks and kind regards
> dennis

---