[Freeswitch-users] On FS-HA feature: HA + Balancing ?

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Thu Aug 5 13:00:05 PDT 2010

mmm i am using a SIP UA client that does not support NAPTR SRV.

Would be it be possible to do an infrastructure like this:
sipserver.domain.com    IN    A    192.168.0.2
                                       IN    A    192.168.0.3
so that the client DNS request will go in roundrobin and in theory could
scale up to an important number.

The client user as a proxy-server configuration sipserver.domain.com .

On the two machine 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 there are a couple of FS
with the HA feature turned on.

That way about 50% of the user will get registered to 192.168.0.2 and
50% on 192.168.0.3 .
My questions are:
a) Would it possible to have both FS active at the same time with HA
feature?
b) How users bound on different servers communicate each other?
    If the userA is connected to sipserver.domain.com on server 0.2 and
userB is connected to sipserver.domain.com on 0.3 (and both FS does RTP
relay) how can FS on 0.2 know that userB is registered on 0.3 ?

    Does they need to register something like a registration status to a
database?

I am just wondering whether FS could scale-up horizzontally with simple
roundrobin (in past i had 4 mailserver in roundrobin on the same
hostname) solution with implicit balancing + high availability without
introducing the additional complexity of a SIP proxy.

Fabio