[Freeswitch-users] any disaster lurking in this over all plan?

Robust Process robust.process at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 10:41:33 PDT 2010

All, when it comes to VOIP, I was born yesterday (but I staid up all night).

I was about to buy a Digium TDM404E with 4 FXO (Red) Modules and eight
Aastra 6755i phones when it occurred to me I probably should ask the
FreeSWITCH community if what I'm about to do is sane :]

8 endpoints (planned to be aastra 6755i)
6 people using phones (four concurrent PSTN lines busy at peak usage)
(55 to 60 long distance calls at a current cost of $55 to $70/mo)

I hope to create a VOIP hybrid (at first) where just the long distance calls
are done via SIP.
Later, I would disconnect PSTN2 and PSTN3 and use the SIP DID as the roll
over group/hunt group once I have the system stabilized.

Inbound Calls
PSTN1->TDM404E|
PSTN2->TDM404E|->FreeSWITCH->local ethernet network->(aastra 6755i
endpoints)
PSTN3->TDM404E|
PSTN4->TDM404E|

{will later disconnect PSTN2 and PSTN3 and use SIP DID as roll over group
-and hunt for outgoing}

Outbound Calls
SIP service (one DID)<-FreeSWITCH<-local ethernet network<-(long distance
calls via aastra 6755i)

PSTN2->TDM404E|<-FreeSWITCH<-local ethernet network<-(local calls via aastra
6755i)
PSTN3->TDM404E|
PSTN4->TDM404E|

Ethernet Configuration

       | -TDM404E->PSTN
-DSL Modem NAT---3com Ethernet Switch---FreeSWITCH|

                                       |_aastra 6755i--Computer (this
represents eight endpoints/PCs)

FreeSWITCH Server
Dell 1400sc Service Tag: JRRXJ01
****************
Hardware
****************
BIOS ver A03
CPUs Two 1000MHz, fsb 133 Mhz, L2 256kb
RAM 512MB ECC
Video ATI Rage XL
FDD
CDROM
Tape Drive (Archive Python 06408-xxx)
Raid Controller:

American Megatrends Perc2/D2   (Now LSI)
bois v1p00, firmware ver 1.01 DRAM 128MB
15 scsi ids on each channel

Harddisk Space: 66GB RAID 5, 3 stripes, Stripe Size 64kb, Wide Termination
(one 34,578MB Seagate ST336607LW, two 34,938MB Seagate ST336807LW )

PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Mouse
Two DB 9 pin serial ports
One 25 pin lpt port
2 USB ports Serverworks
One onboard Intel NIC 10/100M, MAC 00B0D0D094E8

Card Slots:
Slot 4, planned to place TDM404E in this slot
Slot 5, Intel NIC 10/100M
Slot 6, Intel SCSI

So, is the above sane or am I going to have to stay up all weekend?
-seriously, let me know if you see looming disaster (and it'd be useful if
you told me the specific disaster you see and how to avoid it).

Thanks,
Orin