[Freeswitch-users] Problem with gateway registration

Nicolas Brenner nicolas at medularis.com
Tue Sep 29 11:05:57 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I am trying to add a gateway, but after configuring it just like the others
gateways I have, it is failing to register with a message like this:

2009-09-29 12:54:40.853440 [ERR] sofia_reg.c:1402 orange Registration Failed
with status Operation has no matching challenge  [904]. failure #1
2009-09-29 12:54:40.906798 [WARNING] sofia_reg.c:364 orange Failed
Registration, setting retry to 10 seconds.

I captured the sip traffic and noticed that when trying to register with one
gateway (the one that works), I get a "Trying" reply immediately followed by
a "401 Unauthorized" which contains a "WWW-Authenticate: digest" with a
"qop=auth" parameter. Then Freeswitch replies with a second REGISTER
including a large "Authorization: digest" section with cnonce and
nc=00000001 parameters.

The gateway which doesn't register, doesn't send the "qop=auth" parameter
together with the "401 Unauthorized", and then Freeswitch sends a
"Authorization: digest" section on the second REGISTER with no cnonce or nc
parameters.

I know very little abouth SIP, so I'm wondering what this "qop=auth"
parameter means and how does it affect the registration process. Is there
any way to do without the qop=auth parameter?

Also, I tried registering with X-Lite directly to the gateway, and it
worked, so it appears to be a problem in the Freeswitch/gateway combination.
(Note: X-Lite sends an "Authorization: digest" section on the _first_
REGISTER, apparently this makes a difference)

Attached is a sip trace for the registration traffic when doing "sofia
profile external restart reloadxml" on the cli, captured with "tshark -i
eth0 -o "rtp.heuristic_rtp: TRUE" -w /tmp/capture.pcap -b filesize:51200 -b
files:100 -R 'sip or rtp or icmp or dns or rtcp or t38'"

Thanks!

Nicolas