[Freeswitch-users] fax detection

Tihomir Culjaga tculjaga at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 15:25:09 PDT 2009

Hi Michael, thanks for your response.

i think it will be enough to check the call capability... we always know the
call is fax. We just need to apply the correct protocol :P

let's suppose you have 2 incoming calls:

   1. SDP containing G711, gsm, T.38 caps
   2. SDP containing G711, gsm caps

the caps will be known on within INVITE message and FS can act accordingly.

   - If there is no T.38 support within SDP, start fax application
   (SpanDSP).
   - If there is T.38 suport within the SDP, route the call to some
   predefined gateway meant for T.38 fax receiving.

In both cases, the fax should be received :P.

So, any chance to route the call according to T.38 caps within SDP message?

Now, for sending faxes there is some challenge.... we still have 2 calls:

we start sending a fax inband (SpanDSP) as this is the only thing we know...
and:

   - if we receive 200 OK with SDP containing G711, anyCaps => continue with
   InBand Fax
   - if we receive 200 OK with DSP containing anyCompressedCaps, T.38 =>
   drop the call without sending ACK to 200 OK ... and move the fax to be sent
   into a different directory.

well, as i said, while receiving faxes will work 100%, sending is tricky...
but it might work.

what do you guys think?

T.