[Freeswitch-users] Monitoring FreeSWITCH Events via Telnet socket (Net::Telnet)

Tina Martinez tina at a2unlimited.com
Fri Sep 4 15:40:04 PDT 2009

Hello,

I have a question, but I’m not certain whether this is a FreeSWITCH issue, or
something specific to Perl.

I have setup a Perl application (“listener”) that monitors the events of my
FreeSWITCH server via a Telnet socket.  So far, the application seems to work
very nicely, except that the listener does not consistently capture all of the
events that are streaming through the socket.  I have been able to work around
most of the issues, but one of the more significant pain-points is when a new
member is getting added to a conference (Event-Name: CUSTOM, Action: add-member).

The log file that I generate from the Telnet socket shows the event details, so I
know that the data is coming across the pipe, but I don’t consistently see the
details in my event listener code.  Also, the fact that I sometimes do see all of
the details confuses me (I don't see a pattern to give any clues towards the cause).

BTW - I do have the <action application="verbose_events" data="true"/> in the
dialplan.

So, I wonder, is there something else that I can do in FreeSWITCH to increase the
reliability of capturing the event details? or is there something I should be
doing in Perl to somehow buffer the data (i.e., why would I see the details in
the socket log file, but not in the data stream within the code?).  I'm not a
socket wizard by any stretch, so I'm hoping that it might be a simple issue
related to the Net::Telnet implementation.

Thank you in advance,

- Tina