[Freeswitch-users] XML Dial Plan vs Language Modules

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Fri Sep 4 00:06:29 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Muhammad Shahzad <
shaheryarkh at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I couple of my team members are working on translating a very long Asterisk
> Dial Plan to FreeSWITCH XML Dial Plan. Now reference to wiki link below,

Before you go through all the trouble of translating the dialplan be sure to
review the application itself. In many cases just doing a dialplan
translation results in less efficient use of FreeSWITCH's powerful features.
Be sure that you are looking at the way FreeSWITCH handles various
situations and take advantage of its power and ease of use.

> http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/FreeSwitch_Dialplan_XML#About_Dialplan_Variables
>
> The dial plan variables are not getting initialized as expected. I was just
> wondering if we move this variable get and set stuff to any language module
> say mod_perl, will that make any difference performance wise? I mean we will
> be invoking a Perl interpreter for each incoming call, won't that be
> expensive in terms of RAM and CPU usage and thus reducing number of calls
> this FS deployment can handle?
>
> I have guys with programming skills in Perl, PHP, Python, Java and LUA
> languages. Which language do you recommend for this, again in terms of speed
> and performance?

Lua is very portable and we've done tests with hundreds of concurrent Lua
scripts running. The other languages are heavier but they'll still handle
quite a few concurrent sessions. Just be sure that you don't do the bridge
app right in the script, use transfer instead and have the dialplan process
any bridging that you need to do.

-MC