[Freeswitch-users] New FreeSwitch User - WAPSERVER Question

Dave Stevenson stevendt at primrosebank.net
Sat Oct 31 10:37:19 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am new to FreeSwitch  - and VOIP too (as the following questions will indicate).

I am trying to setup a VOIP system at home and am just getting started, I have been trawling through the Docs/Wiki and realise that I have a lot to learn !

Anyway, here's the first (of what I'm sure will be many !) questions, hopefully someone will take the type to help me out......

OK, I have already worked out that FreeSwitch seems to be much better supported under Linux than Windows (is that a fair comment ?), but while I have a long term intention to give Linux a go, it's something that is on the back burner (and has been for some time). At the moment, the current plan is to use FreeSwitch under WindowsXP and I have loaded the latest Windows Install. Everything seems to be working fine so far - well, in test mode anyway, my VOIP phones and teleco interface won't be here until next week, so at the moment, I'm just trying out the system with X-Lite.

The first question that I have is about WAPSERVER. This was installed as part of the FreeSwitch install. At the moment, I am manually starting FreeSwitch and WAPSERVER does not seem to start automatically. When I manually start it, it says that it is OFFLINE until I manually put it ONLINE. So :-

1. What does WAPSERVER actually do ?
2. How should it be started ?
3. My next step is to configure the Server PC to auto-logon to my Windows 2003 Server domain and put FreeSwitch in the Startup Group - do I need to add WAPSERVER there too ?

The next question is about the ServerIP address. Not thinking far enough ahead, the machine that I installed FreeSwitch on uses DHCP to get its IP Address. I guess that the FreeSwitch server should really have a static IP Address. If I change the PC to have a static IP Address, then

1. Do I need to re-install FreeSwitch
2. If not, is there a or is there command to get FreeSwitch to updated itself with a new IP Address ?
3. Maybe the Server does not need to know the change - maybe if only affect the clients (Phones/SoftPhones ?)

Thanks & Best Regards
Dave