[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH on FreeBSD

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Thu Oct 29 07:56:33 PDT 2009

Richard E Neese написав(ла):
>>      * What hardware is known to work well on FreeBSD?
>>      * What else -- other than a computer with a phone card -- will I
>> need?
>>      * Do end-user phones have to be regular analog phones (all
>>        plugged-in to the computer), or IP-phones, such as made by Avaya
>>        (connecting via an Ethernet switch)?
>>      * How is the computer connecting to the world? Do I plug-in the
>>        incoming analog phone line(s) somewhere, or is it going to go
>>        through the Internet?
>>      * If the connection to the world is over the Internet, don't we
>> need
>>        an account with someone else, or is Verizon known to work with
>>        FreeSWITCH-based PBX-systems directly?
>>      * Should I not simply buy a used Avaya-system like this:
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110450339950&_trksid=p2759.l1259
>>
>>        What will I gain and what will I lose (other than personal
>>        satisfaction, of course) by going that route instead of building
>>        my own box?
Thank you very much, Richard, for you answering some of my questions. A
few remain, however:
> using freeswitch on bsd is free. nd all you kneed is phones like
> polycom soundpoint or aastra  or snome or cisco . Sip phones.
So, the phones connect -- via CAT6 cables -- to my network switch, and
talk to my FreeBSD server running FreeSWITCH. Ok. But how does the
server connect to the world? Somewhere between me talking into a Polycom
handset in New Jersey and my friend in hearing me in Ukraine, the audio
has to hit the telephone network... Where does this happen?

Do I plug-in a regular phone line into the same server? If so, what
hardware do I need inside it?
Or do I use a VOIP-provider -- connecting my server to them via the
Internet? And if so, which providers should I consider -- would Verizon
themselves qualify?

I ask, because the phone-service provided with Verizon's FIOS is already
a VOIP of some kind -- there is no copper line any more, it is all done
through optic cable... Verizon-provided device connects to that fiber on
one end, and gives you a phone-line on the other...

So it would be rather silly for my SIP-phones to convert the analog
speech into packets, then for the FreeSWITCH server to convert them back
into analog audio, and then for Verizon's equipment right in my house to
digitize back...

Thanks! Yours,

    -mi