[Freeswitch-users] Some documentation thoughts

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Mon Oct 12 15:38:27 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Diego Viola <diego.viola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been doing some work recently on the FreeSWITCH wiki, to improve
> things.
>
> You can see some of my work here:
>

> http://wiki.freeswitch.org/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=500&target=Diego.viola
>
> I am trying to polish the wiki and give it a more professional and clean
> look, this means that we need to enforce some guidelines and strive to make
> the wiki even better.
>
> How can we do this?
>
> Well, the first thing is to review everything we have, right now we have
> too many separated and little pages here and there that no one cares or
> read, we should avoid doing little or small pages. We need to correct typos,
> I suggest that people click on "Random page" link and start correcting
> typos, install an English (US) dictionary in your browser and enable Spell
> Checking and start correcting these typos if you want to help, also, make
> acronyms and initialisms all-uppercase when you make one.
>
> When you are adding documentation make sure you don't do a separate page
> for an existing page, etc. and we also need to define a size for titles,
> body, etc, so different pages don't look different from each other, I will
> make sure I add all this into our guidelines and that all pages follow this.
>
> My goal is to have great documentation, similar to the Apache
> documentation:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/
>
> Or even better, I hope you like this idea.

Diego,

Thank you so much for all of your help on this. Many in the community have
seen your work - it has not gone unnoticed and it most truly is appreciated.
I like the idea of improving the documentation. One thing we need to do is
re-think the organization. In many cases the issue with the docs isn't that
they aren't complete, but rather that they are hard to find. It's all about
organization. I'm definitely open to ideas.

For those who are interested in helping out with the wiki please let me know
of your availability and skill set. I am maintaining a list of volunteers.

Lastly, if you want to talk about documentation in real time please join us
in #freeswitch-docs.

Thanks,
MC