[Freeswitch-users] mod_opal - call charged before H.225 connect

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) vhatz at kinetix.gr
Wed Oct 7 06:37:58 PDT 2009

Claudiu Filip wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 3:58:20 AM, Anthony M. wrote:
>> barely get anybody asking about h.323.
>

> H323 may not be popular for small ITSPs or small/medium PBXes, but
> it's widely used by the big players.. and freeswitch doesnt share the
> same goals with asterisk.
>

> Best wishes,
>

> Claudiu Filip

I have to agree with Filip, H323 is not popular (or sometimes even
known) to the VoIP end user and small PBX community. In fact many VoIP
users that I've talked with even believe that VoIP started with SIP,
which is not true.

H323 although diminishing in usage is still used among voice carriers
because it better resembles telephony environments and is not prone to
errors and problems of SIP (example: if there is a network error in
mid-call H323 uses TCP for signaling and therefore almost immediately
detects the error to hang-up the call, while SIP _typically_ uses UDP
and cannot detect such issues via signaling but only if a media gateway
monitors RTP activity etc.).

As it is already pointed out, many carriers switch to SIP steadily, but
still H323 is important for carrier-to carrier interconnection.

FreeSWITCH is positioned/advertised as a high-capacity softswitch (not
just a SME PBX) which implies interconnection with large carriers (who
still prefer H323).

There are many SIP platforms out there, open source and closed source
that can do SIP (most of them pretty good, some of them excellent).

There are many closed source platforms that can do SIP and H323 pretty
good (and some of them excellent).

However, there is no open source platform that can do BOTH SIP and H323
REALLY good. That could be a competitive advantage for an open source
platform...

NOTE: All the above is just academic discussion. A reply to the above in
the spirit "put your money where your mouth is" is not really
constructive and will be countered by a series of valid arguments
against it.

Best regards,
Vlasis Hatzistavrou.