[Freeswitch-users] mod_xml_curl http POST is inconsistent/bug

Christian Damianidis ChristianDamianidis at globalive.com
Mon Oct 5 11:25:03 PDT 2009

Trying to achieve dynamic binding of user directory. In short: It's not
doing the authorization properly. I can use curl in the command line and
it works perfectly, specifying BASIC auth.. however with the freeswitch
module it returns HTTP 401.

So I've taken a close look at the network packets being sent and there
are some issues.

This is between the <bindings></bindings> tags in my xml_curl.conf.xml
(1.2.3.4 represents my webserver's IP)

        <binding name="users">

                <param name="gateway-url"
value="http://1.2.3.4:2000/users.aspx" bindings="directory"/>

                <param name="gateway-credentials"
value="username:password"/>

        </binding>

When I run "curl -basic -u username http://1.2.3.4:2000/users.aspx" it
asks me for a password and returns the correct thing. I use tshark to
monitor, and it sends a GET request, with the correct authorization
credentials in the header. I receive an HTTP 200 OK packet and the xml
follows.

When I startup freeswitch, I guess the xml curl module gets to run, and
it makes the request. However this time it's a POST, and oddly DOES NOT
include the Authorization: Basic <encodedstring> line in the packet. I
get back two HTTP 401 Unauthorized responses, and then freeswitch sends
out another POST, this time includes the authorization line, and I get
back an OK with the xml.

My user directory is updated and we're all good.

The inconsistent POST request sent by the module causes freeswitch to
hang for 1-2 minutes during start-up.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is this a bug or intended functionality
(ping the server before making a real request?). I'd love to sort this
out, otherwise getting an updated directory isn't real-time, thus
defeating the purpose.

Thanks,

Christian