[Freeswitch-users] Using play_and_get_digits (or IVR) without a final delay

Robert L Mathews lists at tigertech.com
Fri Nov 13 16:23:19 PST 2009

Hi, I'm a new FreeSWITCH convert from asterisk. It's great software;
thanks for making it.

I'm trying to play a sound file while listening for possible digits
dialed (although in most cases callers will not be dialing anything).

If callers do start dialing an extension while the sound file is
playing, I want them to be able to dial it slowly without any problems.
So the inter-digit timeout should be, say, 2 seconds.

However, if people don't start dialing anything while the sound file is
playing, I don't want any delay at the end of it.

I've tried play_and_get_digits with a 2000 timeout -- but that causes a
2 second "dead air" pause at the end of the sound file if callers don't
dial anything.

I've also tried using a trivial IVR menu to simulate this, but it has
the same problem. Interestingly, it doesn't *look* like IVRs should have
the problem, because they allow both "inter-digit-timeout" and "timeout"
to be specified separately -- but at least in FreeSWITCH 1.0.4, a short
"timeout" value always interrupts the dialing of digits, even if
"inter-digit-timeout" is much longer.

Is there any way to play a sound file from the dial plan with a long
inter-digit delay, but without any final delay if no digits are dialed?

Thanks for your time!

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies