[Freeswitch-users] 64 bit PortAudio status

Bruce Fletcher bruce at nani.ca
Mon Nov 9 11:23:25 PST 2009

I just want to clarify the status of PortAudio on 64 bit architectures.

There is a compile-time problem in pa_dither.c (and .h) that comes
from the code not being 64 bit ready.  This problem has been patched
cleanly here:

   http://www.portaudio.com/trac/changeset/1418

I think this patch should go into FreeSWITCH because it makes
PortAudio compilable and minimally useful on 64 bit platforms.

There is a separate 64 bit issue involving PortAudio's Mac interface
which shows up at runtime in the function ringBufferIOProc().  Someone
marked it as a to-fix issue for 64 bit compiles with the following
assertion:

   assert( sizeof( UInt32 ) == sizeof( long ) );

There is a discussion that just started this weekend about fixing this
on the PortAudio mailing list here:

   http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/portaudio/2009-November/009581.html

It sounds like someone there may fix up this problem soon.  I am going
to keep tracking that and see if I can help it along.  In any event,
this problem is unrelated to the pa_dither problem.

I just wanted to clarify this so the existing PortAudio patch for
pa_dither could possibly be included before 1.05 is released.

Thanks,
- Bruce