[Freeswitch-users] suggestions for hardware.

Dana Harding dharding at nucleus.com
Mon Nov 9 04:10:56 PST 2009

> I am looking on advice on how to set up a simple office PBX, 20 phones
> and 4 outside lines.with 2 or 3 "operator" phones and the rest will be
> extensions.
>
>  4 spa3000's to handle the outside lines.
>  2-3 polycom 601 phones with expansion modules (Operator phones)
>  18 polycom 330 or other phones for desks.
>  2-24 port cisco POE switches
>  1 pfSense server.

The last time I tried using spa3000's for PSTN connections,  I had a lot of
difficulty tuning the settings to get rid of some echo the users were
hearing.   I don't know what the local loop length was, and the wiring in
that neighbourhood is pretty old - both probably had a strong influence on
what I was seeing.  My determination at that time (~3 years ago) was that
they were good for home connections, but not suitable for business use.   I
ultimately went with a Sangoma card (A200 +HWEC module), it killed the echo
and sounded great.

YMMV - Firmware and hardware has probably changed quite a bit in 3 years,
and your loop characteristics might be better.   My inclination would be to
buy one, and see how well it works at your site.

> System Design.
>
>  Extension Numbers 2xx
>  Outside line access 1xxxxxxxxxx
>  groups 3xx
>  auto-attendent ???

Depending on how you want your system to work - auto-attendant is a good way
to go if you won't have DIDs for all or most individuals.  Our
receptionist's (and our client's) time was being chewed up by all calls
being forced to go through her before we implemented an auto-attendant.