[Freeswitch-users] cd-sounds vs. sounds?

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Mon Nov 9 09:34:17 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Fred-145 <codecomplete at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I successfully installed FreeSwitch from SVN, and am now prompted to
> install
> the sound files. Am I correct in understanding that "sounds" are POTS-grade
> files (8KHz?) while "cd-sounds" are closer to VoIP-grade (16KHz?), and
> "hd-sounds" and "uhd-sounds" are for Skype-grade sound files?
>
> In that case, if I only need to play sound files to POTS callers, I only
> need the "sounds" files?

I recommend you just do this:
make cd-sounds-install && make cd-moh-install

This will install all the sounds (8k, 16k, 32k, 48k) and thus FS can play
whatever sampling rate is necessary. I promise you that this is the easiest
way to go. Others have tried to save a few megabytes of disk space by not
installing the higher quality sounds and music and have ended up wasting
hours debugging "issues with playing sound files."

For the record, the 8k files are just "sounds" and then you have hd (16k),
uhd (32k), and cd (48k).
-MC