[Freeswitch-users] PortAudio needs work on Mac OS X 10.6

Bruce Fletcher bruce at nani.ca
Sun Nov 8 01:12:26 PST 2009

I'm trying to get through the noobie tutorial that c888 recommends in
IRC, but PortAudio doesn't seem to build properly on Mac OS X 10.6.
It failed due to some code that wasn't 64bit ready, apparently.  The
error I got was exactly the same as this 4 month old error from
MacPorts:

   http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20338#comment:4

Someone there produced the following patch, which almost got me going
again:

   http://trac.macports.org/changeset/53938

This has to be manually applied because the line numbers don't match
up between the MacPorts and FreeSWITCH versions of PortAudio.  At
least, not in the configure script.  This still doesn't quite get
portaudio built, but I found a suggestion to configure it with --
disable-shared here:

   http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/portaudio/2008-February/008188.html

This finally got me to the point of having a compiled version of
portaudio, but of course with that much hacking around nothing is
going to go smoothly, is it.  I can boot freeswitch fine and 'load
mod_portaudio' seems to work, but when I try to hear some MOH output,
I get this:

freeswitch at Media-Centre.local> pa call 9999
2009-11-08 00:50:51.894512 [NOTICE] switch_channel.c:613 New Channel
portaudio/9999 [3079018b-0df8-4c61-bffa-2f2eb681d06d]
Assertion failed: (sizeof( UInt32 ) == sizeof( long )), function
ringBufferIOProc, file src/hostapi/coreaudio/pa_mac_core.c, line 1713.

I'd be happy to poke around on the PortAudio site and see if there is
any useful information or patches there, but it's really late now so I
just wanted to document where I've gotten to in case someone else has
the same problem or a better clue on how to fix things.

This is all using version 15396 out of subversion, if it matters.

Thanks,
- Bruce