[Freeswitch-users] Secure RTP

Jim Burke jim at evolutiontel.net
Sun May 24 20:23:39 PDT 2009

Hi Brian and Anthony,

We need to move back a couple of steps here.  I fully understand the A
leg cannot enable SRTP unless it sends descriptors in the original
INVITE.  As the A party works as expected lets not discuss that any
further as it clouds the waters so to speak.

What I am trying to achieve is to set SRTP on a per leg basis if the
UA requires it.  In the case of terminating the B leg, if the UA
requires SRTP, Freeswitch will not know this until advised by the B
leg UA via a 415 Bad Security Level responce from the B leg INVITE.

Per debug attached to original email, FS appears to generate the SRTP
descriptors however does not add them to the second INVITE sent to the
B leg.  IMHO this is a fault and should be corrected.  Anthony, do you
have any thoughts on this!

Call testing shows the following results.
1.  A leg INVITE with SRTP descriptors in SDP and sip_secure_media set
in the dialplan.  B leg INVITE has no SRTP descriptors in SDP .  RTP
between A UA and FS uses SRTP, B leg does not.

2.  A leg INVITE with SRTP descriptors in SDP and sip_secure_media and
export sip_secure_media=true set in the dialplan.  B leg INVITE also
SRTP descriptors in SDP .  RTP between A UA and FS uses SRTP, FS and B
UA also uses SRTP.

3.  A leg INVITE with no SRTP descriptors in SDP and export
sip_secure_media=true set in the dialplan.  B leg INVITE has SRTP
descriptors in SDP.  RTP between B UA and FS uses SRTP, A leg does
not.

4.  A leg INVITE without SRTP descriptors in SDP, B leg INVITE without
SRTP descriptors in SDP results in 415 Bad Security Level.  Dialplan
set to continue on fail and export sip_secure_media=true then bridge
the call once more.  Debug shows that FS generates the SRTP
descriptors, however FS does not add them to the second INVITE.

As you can see from above, FS can set SRTP on a per leg basis.
However for some reason it fails to add the SRTP descriptors to the
SDP in the second INVITE for scenario 3.

I hope this has cleared up the confusion regarding my original email.
If you wish to discuss further please let me know what time the
conference is and I can join in.

Regards,
Jim