[Freeswitch-users] Cool names for my VoIP company

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat May 23 07:37:17 PDT 2009

Peter P GMX wrote:
> Just a side notice about how to name a company.
> If you use a "descriptive" name e.g. GlobalSIP as sugested before, it
> may be difficult to register this name later on as a brand name when
> your company becomes successful.
> At least here in Europe it is not possible to register a brand name when
> the name itself describes the business or the techique used.
> Thats the reason why big companies nowadays use these strange names like

There have been some high profile renamings in Europe, where the
original name was too descriptive to trademark. For example, you
couldn't trademark a name like "Windows" for a windowing system... oh,
wait..
> e.g. ABALA, which seem to not make any sense at all at a first glance.
> But these names can eaysily be registered as brand names.

Not really. The names are getting weirder as the range of available
<weird name>.com options shrinks.

Steve