[Freeswitch-users] using freeswitch on ubuntu in home network

Brian West brian at freeswitch.org
Tue Mar 31 16:52:48 PDT 2009

First off please no HTML emails.... We have a large community of blind
users that might have a hard time reading your messages or replying
which they do all the time!  ;)  Thanks guys.

On Mar 31, 2009, at 6:27 PM, badeguruji wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Friends, can someone please help me understand what hardware and/or
> software (like FreeSwitch) do i need, to have a working setup like
> below:
>
> DSL from telco----->switch+NAT------>ubuntu server
>                                   |__________>voip phone
>                                   |___________>normal PSTN phone
>
> Q. what voip related software will i need to run above setup?

You'll need FreeSWITCH, Voip Phone and a PSTN interface.

Various interface cards are outlined on the wiki... http://wiki.freeswitch.org

> Q. will i be able to use my existing phone number? (i do not have
> voip service right now)

If you get a card to interface your server to the PSTN then yes you'll
be able to use it.

> Q. will i be able to use my regular phone? or do i need voip phone?

If it can plugin to an ATA or other such device to let you ring a
standard phone.

> I am looking for these featuers:
> 1. full call records.

Yes

> 2. visual voicemail

Yes.  Via web.

> 3. seperate voicemail box for each family member.

Yes

> 4. call forwarding on each user basis.

Yes

> 5. ability to make more then one outbound call, with having ONLY one
> home phone number.

You need a voip provider or one line per concurrent call you wish to
make.