[Freeswitch-users] Load testing and thread use

Richard Lamkin Richard.Lamkin at mettoni.com
Thu Mar 26 11:26:42 PDT 2009

Dear All,

I am testing FS as a call queuing server.

My test set up is as follows;

Two Windows XP (SP3) Pc's  with 1.0.3 installed out of the box.  [
Before anyone says use Linux I need to use windows for a specific
reason]

I have a single gateway [fsb1500] on FS-1 configured to register with
FS-2 [extn 1500].

I then use the following CLI command to create a call from FS1[5900] to
FS2[5900]

 "bgapi originate
sofia/gateway/fsb1500/5900 at richardl-5013-2.mettonigroup.com 5900"

This happily connects FS1[5900] to FS2[5900] .  Codec set to G711a.

I have one hardphone on FS2 with a call connected to 5900 to allow me to
listen to MOH.

I have been monitoring the system resources used by FS and have observed
that for each new call a new thread is created.

I have pushed well over 200 calls from FS-1 into FS2.

All goes well with the CPU usage by FS (<25%) until 150 concurrent calls
when it starts to climb rapidly and at 175 (~50%).

One good thing is that memory usage is reasonable with 90MB for 150
calls.

My questions are;

Q1 - Is my test reasonable ?

Q2 - Windows XP is not that happy with large numbers of thread per app.
Is there a way to configure FS to use fewer threads; instead of using
1/call can it be configured  to use to 1/(n calls) ?

Q3 - If there's  not a way to configure FS to combine threads would it
be reasonable to consider modifying the FS code to allow the combining
of  threads or would this be a mammoth task.

Regards

Richard Lamkin

the system manager. http://www.mettoni.com

Datapulse Ltd (part of the Mettoni Group)
Registered in England and Wales: 4485978
9400 Garsington Road, Oxford Business Park, Oxford, OX4 2HN