[Freeswitch-users] echo cancellation on PRI cards

David Knell dave at 3c.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 08:04:29 PDT 2009

Steve Underwood wrote:
>> When there is Echo being generated from the far end, usually in a
>> bridged call. If you application is just an IVR, with no far end
>> connectivity, then you shouldn't need an echo can. If you are bridging
>> calls, then at some point you may need it, depending on what else is
>> in the loop.
>>
> This is VERY VERY WRONG. IVRs badly need echo cancellation. Without it
> they give very poor reliability detecting DTMF while the prompts are
> playing. If the system uses voice recognition, its reliability will be
> even worse.

With respect, this is at best half true.  DTMF detection has always
worked just fine
without echo cancellation - the Dialogic, Aculab and Rhetorex cards
which I used
in the late 1990s managed it perfectly well; if the DTMF detection code
in * and FS
can't, then maybe that's something for its author to look at ;-)

ASR - yes, maybe, but L&H's ASR1500 used to work perfectly well on the same
hardware above back in the day.  I'd be interested to see results of
testing an ASR
engine in with echo; unfortunately, most vendors appear to prohibit the
publication
of test results in their licensing.

--Dave