[Freeswitch-users] echo cancellation on PRI cards

Wasim Baig wasim at convergence.pk
Mon Mar 16 22:48:20 PDT 2009

2009/3/17 Anthony Knight <tntknight at gmail.com>

I'm thinking about doing a project that would use FreeSWITCH as an IVR, with
> callers being routed in by both ISDN PRI, and also SIP trunks, with
> occasional bridge calls between callers.
>
> I'm wondering in what use cases hardware echo cancellation on the PRI cards
> is needed.

When there is Echo being generated from the far end, usually in a bridged
call. If you application is just an IVR, with no far end connectivity, then
you shouldn't need an echo can. If you are bridging calls, then at some
point you may need it, depending on what else is in the loop.

>  And does hardware echo cancellation work with OpenZap/FreeSWITCH?

Yes, it really has nothing to do with the software then, its handled by the
card and its hardware driver. In Sangoma's case, by Wanpipe.

> It looks like all the major cards (Sangoma, Digium, etc..) use Octasic Echo
> cancellation add-on cards.  Is there any difference between brands?

Sangoma has 1024 tap Octasic Echo Cans. Very nice they are indeed.

> Any recommendations on PRI boards and whether I need to pay for echo
> cancellation are appreciated

Unashamedly, Sangoma's. 100% of the cases where our customers have used
Sangoma A10Xd vs A10X, they've been much happier with the quality on the
line. Its a tad bit more $, but well worth it (especially in places with bad
copper).

--
wasim h. baig | principal consultant | convergence pk | +92 300 8508070 |
peace be upon you ...