[Freeswitch-users] Prefered Linux Distro to run FS on

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at celliax.org
Fri Mar 6 01:39:30 PST 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 1:52 AM, Michael Collins <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:
>> Everyone seems to slate Centos, but to my surprise Anthony recommends Centos
>> 5.2 which is nice to hear.  Yes I know it’s not bleeding edge, but I don’t
>> want that.
>
> Repeat the mantra: CentOS is boring and predictable; boring and
> predictable is perfect for real-time telephony systems.
>
>> Any reason why I should not be running Centos with FS? (I do plan on running
>> 64 bit in future though)
>
> None that I can think of unless you have a super cool Linux distro
> that none of us have ever heard of.

Maybe, but just maybe, on CentOS you can have a problem running
skypiax (the skype endpoint/trunk): after a couple days of inactivity
the snd-dummy ALSA driver of CentOS (at least on 32 bit) seems to go
into ininterruptable sleep, causing the Skype clients to go into that
state (the state seen as "D" in top). But I'm not sure about this,
maybe will not be confirmed, needs more investigation. The Jira I
filed for this is: http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/MODSKYPIAX-27

I had very good overall experiences with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy, and
CentOS 5.2. BTW: since roughly one month, when the sqlite assert was
fixed, the build on Windows Vista seems rock solid to me.