[Freeswitch-users] Is there any license G729?

Jay Fenton jay.fenton at howlertech.com
Tue Jun 30 00:03:34 PDT 2009

Hi Edmar,

> I need actually G729 license if there's any for freeswitch to call
> mobile
> phones... I already load it but has an issue on it passthrough
> mode... If i
> install mod_dandhi_codec it overwrites the existing G729 without
> license to
> a new G729 with license?

Are you sure your mobile phones support G729? Most phones have hardware
acceleration for AMR-NB and not G729, so most of the VoIP-over-WiFi
providers use that codec instead. I believe G729 would have to be
implemented in software only (without hardware assistance) and would
drain the battery fairly quickly as a result.

As other have pointed out on the list, and just in case you missed it
mod_dahdi_codec is for use with a PCI accelerator card (the TC400B)
that Digium (http://www.digium.com/) sell and will not work without
it. With that card you can get up to 120 concurrent G729A-G711 calls.

These days you can get much better performance from pure software
codecs running on Intel/AMD systems than using the above card. We
(Howler) happen to have announced a G729A codec for FreeSWITCH a
few days ago - you can get more info here:

	http://www.howlertech.com/products/howlets/

Hope that helps.

--
Regards,

Jay Fenton, CTO <jay.fenton at howlertech.com>
Howler Technologies Ltd, 11 Charlotte Mews, London, W1T 4EQ
tel: +44 207 099 7095 fax: +44 207 099 7098
http://www.howlertech.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jfenton

Registered in England & Wales, Company No. 06285634