[Freeswitch-users] Compiling freeswitch for Dragonfly BSD

Vincent Stemen vince.freeswitch at hightek.org
Sat Jun 27 22:17:06 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:19:02PM -0400, Michael Jerris wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Vincent Stemen <vince.freeswitch at hightek.org
>  > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:53:23AM -0400, Michael Jerris wrote:
> >>
> >> Can you post a bug to Jira.freeswitch.org with all these warnings,
> >> even better with patches to fix it.
> >
> > OK.  I think I have narrowed the problem down to 3 issues.
> >
> > 1.  The build system is treating even a single warning as a critical
> > error
> >    and aborting compilation in that directory.
>
> As intended.

Interesting.  I don't think I have seen any other projects force the
build to fail on warnings.  Although, I think that is better than
allowing warnings to accumulate and never get cleaned up like I see on
a lot of the projects out there.

> > 2.  Compilation continues into the next directory even though
> > compilation of
> >    the previous directory was aborted, as you can see in the make
> > output below
> >    where it went on to build "features".  This can cause a chain
> > reaction of
> >    other errors because stuff it expects to be there did not get
> > built in
> >    previous stages.  I suspect that is also the source of the
> > 'symbolic link'
> >    error I was getting.  I did not get that on this last compilation
> > after
> >    fixing some of the warnings (see below).  It can also make it
> > possible to
> >    get to the end of the build and not know that stuff did not get
> > compiled
> >    further back, leaving the package incomplete.
> >

> I've looked for this one and have not been able to nail it down.  I
> must be missing an || exit somewhere in the module makefiles?
> Everytime I go to reproduce this issue I can't reproduce it.

Since you are aware of it and working on it, do you still want me to
take the time to create a problem report on jira for this?  If so, do
you want to add a platform option for Dragonfly BSD first?  Or should
I just select FreeBSD?

> > 3.  Lots of "return makes pointer from integer without a cast"
> > warnings
> >    throughout the sofia-sip tree.  This one, of course, is not the
> > actual show
> >    stopper but is triggering the above problems and needs cleaned up
> > none the
> >    less.
>
> I am sure these are trivial enough to fix but am a bit puzzled why I
> don't see them on. Any other platform.  What version of gcc is this?
> Does dragonfly patch gcc to report more warnings than other platforms?

Hmm..  It could be that you guys are all running gcc-4 (?).  I am
working on a bit older installation that is running gcc 3.4.6.
Although, I was told on the dragonfly irc that gcc-4 generates more
warnings by default than gcc-3.  So I don't know.  They said they did
not know of any special gcc configurations or patches for gcc on
Dragonfly.  There was one thing unanimous though.  Everybody I spoke
with on the #c and the #dragonflybsd irc did not like the way the
lines are coded that are generating most of the errors :-).
    e.g.  return (void)(errno = EINVAL), NULL;

I went ahead and posted a bug report on jira under the sofia-sip
project, with a patch that fixes all the warnings for the first file
(su_alloc.c).  More patches will follow.

I went ahead and selected FreeBSD as the platform.  I thought I would
point that out in case you guys want to add Dragonfly BSD and change the
platform on this issue report.