[Freeswitch-users] Compiling freeswitch for Dragonfly BSD

Vincent Stemen vince.freeswitch at hightek.org
Fri Jun 26 19:17:44 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:53:23AM -0400, Michael Jerris wrote:

> Can you post a bug to Jira.freeswitch.org with all these warnings,
> even better with patches to fix it.

OK.  I think I have narrowed the problem down to 3 issues.

1.  The build system is treating even a single warning as a critical error
    and aborting compilation in that directory.

2.  Compilation continues into the next directory even though compilation of
    the previous directory was aborted, as you can see in the make output below
    where it went on to build "features".  This can cause a chain reaction of
    other errors because stuff it expects to be there did not get built in
    previous stages.  I suspect that is also the source of the 'symbolic link'
    error I was getting.  I did not get that on this last compilation after
    fixing some of the warnings (see below).  It can also make it possible to
    get to the end of the build and not know that stuff did not get compiled
    further back, leaving the package incomplete.

3.  Lots of "return makes pointer from integer without a cast" warnings
    throughout the sofia-sip tree.  This one, of course, is not the actual show
    stopper but is triggering the above problems and needs cleaned up none the
    less.

=================

Making all in su
         LTCOMPILE su.lo
         LTCOMPILE su_errno.lo
         LTCOMPILE su_addrinfo.lo
         LTCOMPILE su_alloc.lo
su_alloc.c: In function `sub_alloc':
su_alloc.c:428: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
su_alloc.c:511: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
su_alloc.c: In function `su_home_new':
su_alloc.c:555: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
su_alloc.c:557: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
su_alloc.c: In function `su_home_clone':
su_alloc.c:730: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
su_alloc.c:732: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
su_alloc.c: In function `su_realloc':
su_alloc.c:1315: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
su_alloc.c:1319: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
su_alloc.c: In function `su_salloc':
su_alloc.c:1518: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
gmake[9]: *** [su_alloc.lo] Error 1
gmake[8]: *** [all] Error 2
Making all in features

=================
I confirmed the abort on warning issue (1) by fixing all warnings in
su_alloc.c.  As you can see below, it went past it just fine until it got
a warning in su_sprintf.c.
=================

Making all in su
         LTCOMPILE su.lo
         LTCOMPILE su_errno.lo
         LTCOMPILE su_addrinfo.lo
         LTCOMPILE su_alloc.lo
         LTCOMPILE su_alloc_lock.lo
         LTCOMPILE su_strdup.lo
         LTCOMPILE su_sprintf.lo
su_sprintf.c: In function `su_vsprintf':
su_sprintf.c:98: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
gmake[9]: *** [su_sprintf.lo] Error 1
gmake[8]: *** [all] Error 2
Making all in features

=================
The issue below of saying it was successfull, when it was not, is apparently
part of issue 2.  It continued into the "build" directory after the previous
errors.
=================

Making all in packages
gmake[6]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[5]: *** [all] Error 2
gmake[4]: *** [/u1/falcon/ports/freeswitch-20090623/work/freeswitch-20090623/libs/sofia-sip/libsofia-sip-ua/libsofia-sip-ua.la] Error 2
gmake[3]: *** [mod_sofia-all] Error 1
gmake[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Making all in build
 +-------- FreeSWITCH Build Complete -----------+
 + FreeSWITCH has been successfully built.      +
 + Install by running:                          +
 +                                              +
 +               gmake install                   +
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

I went ahead and established an account on jira.freeswitch.org.  I see there
are separate projects for "FreeSWITCH-Buildsystem" and "sofia-sip".  I
am guessing I should post two separate reports, one for issues 1 and 2 for the
Buildsystem and one in sofia-sip for issue 3 since all the warnings seem to be
from that code.

I do not know the build system well enough to solve issues 1 and 2 at this
time.  However, I already have a patch I will provide for su_alloc.c and can
continue working on resolving more of the casting warnings if somebody else can
work on the build issue, which is the real show stopper.