[Freeswitch-users] high latency

David Burgess apt.get at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:53:57 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Michael Collins<msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:
> Can you describe your setup? Need to know what kind of OS and hardware is
> running FS as well as what kind of phones. Any NAT involved?
> -MC

FS is running inside pfsense, which is a freeBSD-based firewall
(pfsense.org). Hardware is a lightly loaded Soekris net5501 (500 MHz
Geode x86, 512 MB RAM)(www.soekris.com).

FS external and internal profiles are both listening on WAN with a
public IP address. My extensions are 2 lines on a Linksys PAP2T
residing on the LAN, registered to the internal profile on the WAN
interface. All calls are made via a sip trunk.

PAP2T normally reports a decode latency in the neighborhood of 30 ms
and jitter of 5 ms. Ping time to my provider's rtp servers is ~42 ms.

Every call starts out with imperceptible latency, but at some point
the caller notices a long delay, as I said, usually around 3 seconds,
and usually only on calls lasting 500 seconds or more.

Anything else I can provide?

db