[Freeswitch-users] Is Freeswitch ready for prime time?

Ben Jones benj at teliax.com
Wed Jun 10 10:18:43 PDT 2009

Hi Paul,

I'll tell you this. We (Teliax) made the decision to use FreeSWITCH
instead of Asterisk in late 2008 and we haven't looked back since. We're
a fairly large SIP/IAX provider with four POPs located throughout the
US, each one running FS.

The dev community surrounding FS is excellent, they're always helpful
and if you check the changelogs
(http://fisheye.freeswitch.org/changelog/FreeSWITCH/) you can clearly
see there's all sorts of work going on daily.

As a company with 5000+ customers with an emphasis on call completion
and high quality, we're happy to say that we can rely on FreeSWITCH
every single day to provide us with what Asterisk couldn't. Don't get me
wrong, Asterisk is a good PBX (it's quick to deploy, relatively easy,
and well supported) but try pushing thousands of calls through it at
once without it choking. FreeSWITCH handles it with 94% processor idle.

I realize I might not answer all your questions, but I just wanted to
throw in our vote for you to replace Asterisk with FreeSWITCH. Maybe
seeing a real-world example such as ours will help your decision to make
the switch. (pun fully intended)

Hope this helps,
Ben J