[Freeswitch-users] Contemplating a jump from Asterisk to Freeswitch

geoffreymina at gmail.com geoffreymina at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 15:29:05 PDT 2009

Hello,
I have been reading through the on-line info as well as some reviews of the
FreeSwitch platform. I am fairly convinced at this point that FreeSwitch is
at least something I need to carefully look into.

Our company utilizes asterisk to support our SaaS ACD/VPD/IVR platform. We
currently support many thousands of concurrent agents (inbound and
outbound). I have spent a lot of time trouble shooting bugs and working
through 'issues' with asterisk. While I have tamed the beast, I am still
not thrilled with the performance, nor am I very excited about the
direction the project appears to be heading. It seems like every time
a 'fix' is committed to SVN, it breaks something else. It's kind of like
the wild-wild-west over there... and it certainly doesn't give me the
warm/fuzzies when thinking about the future of my company.

One of the benefits of our architecture is that our business logic is
completely abstracted from the asterisk system. We use a combination of
FastAGI and AMI to control channels on the asterisk server. We have a Java
based server which interfaces with the higher level call routing engines.
It looks to me like the Mod_event_socket would probably satisfy my
requirements for controlling the calls via an external process, although it
doesn't look as cut/dry as the FastAGI model. I haven't seen anything which
would let me know the equivalent of the FastAGI 'script' being requested.

The other thing I haven't seen is how to dynamically create conferences on
the fly and redirect channels into them. We use app_conference on asterisk
to avoid the ztdummy issue. Once the higher level intelligence engine
determines two channels need to speak with each other, they are both
redirected via AMI Redirect into a dynamic Conference created just for that
particular call.

Also - what is the status of call progress on FreeSwitch? Some things that
are important to me are answering machine detection as well as detecting
SIT intercept tones in the early media stream... any love here?

I have a ton more questions, but this seems like a good start.

Thanks!
Geoff