[Freeswitch-users] Language Handling: call for assistance

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 10:19:39 PDT 2009

sound prefix should not be used for lang just "language"

the sound_prefix is automatically built as

${base}/sounds/${language}/

each time you execute say.

and restored to its previous val when the say is over.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Michael Collins <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Igor Neves <igor at 3gnt.net> wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> Michael Collins wrote:
>>
>> Hello all!
>>
>> There's been some discussion lately on how to handle multiple languages,
>> specifically with the *say* application. We would like some input from
>> the community on how to handle multiple languages and sound files. Anthony
>> notes that the say application needs to build the path to the sound files by
>> using the ${sound_prefix} and ${lang} variables. Some have asked about
>> countries or language variants, like European Portugese vs. Brazilian
>> Portugese. These are good questions.
>>

>> What it's the problem about Portuguese VS Brazilian?
>>
>> Can't we just use "PT_pt" and "PT_br" in ${lang}, just like a lot of
>> others softwares do?
>>
>> What about ${sound_prefix} = ${lang}, since ${lang} should always be
>> unique, and you make the path's automatically language organized?
>>

> This is reasonable to me, but it would be nice to have a consensus, just to
> be sure.
>

>> >From the community we need input. If you have experience with multiple
>> languages in a telephony environment then please give us your suggestions.
>> How would you like to see the say application handle various languages and
>> dialects? Please give us your helpful suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael
>>

>> Sorry if I miss understood something.
>> Cheers,
>>

> Believe, the moment we put this into place we will have someone purporting
> to be an expert offering a completely new solution. That's why we asked for
> input now, before Tony spends a lot of time working on it.
> -MC

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/